How to Make Our Super Savory Meatless "Meat" Sauce

Becky teaches Julia how to make a vegetarian version of a savory, satisfying meatless “meat” sauce.

Get the recipe for Meatless Meat Sauce: https://cooks.io/2KdtFGy
Buy our winning food processor: https://cooks.io/2TCvelk

ABOUT US: Located in Boston’s Seaport District in the historic Innovation and Design Building, America’s Test Kitchen features 15,000 square feet of kitchen space including multiple photography and video studios. It is the home of Cook’s Illustrated magazine and Cook’s Country magazine and is the workday destination for more than 60 test cooks, editors, and cookware specialists. Our mission is to test recipes over and over again until we understand how and why they work and until we arrive at the best version.

If you like us, follow us:

Comments

Josephine Porter says:

This was super easy and delicious! More plant-based recipes please!

Nancy Benner says:

I made this sauce when I was having a dinner party which included vegetarians. It was a hit even with the meat eater guests. This will be my go-to pasta sauce from now on. Thank you.

Shy 1 says:

I'm excited to try this on the family. I'm the only one who likes mushrooms so I won't tell them they're in there.

T Sav says:

Have to try this out!

Mario Lopez says:

Excellent!
More recipes like this please.

Kip Paseo says:

This will be Wednesday night's dinner!

eyelashalot says:

trying this in a week or so….maybe today lol

Terri Juanette says:

Made this today for my church's monthly luncheon. It was amazing! I did change it up a bit but only slightly: Here's what I did: I wanted to add a vegan 'sausage' and I had heard how good Beyond Meat's sausage is, so I used their Spicy Italian version. It's supposed to be 'spicy' but there was no heat to it at all in my opinion. I cut up 2 of the 'sausages' into 1/4" or so angled slices (like you might for stirfry) and cooked them on each side in a separate small frying pan and set aside to add at the end. Just before adding them, I cut them into smaller pieces. For the actual sauce, I followed the directions here.- I played the video over and over, LOL – but when it was done I noticed 3 things, no four: One, it didn't have enough 'tomato' flavor for me, so I added the rest of the can of tomato paste. Two, I realized that "the 1.5 teaspoons of oregano" mentioned in this video probably should have been 1.5 Tablespoons as it was not nearly enough by far for this dish; so I corrected that. Three, it needed another teaspoon of salt but that was probably the ingredients I used since brand names of canned food (tomatoes, paste, beans, etc) probably have varying amounts of salt. I'm glad I waited till the end to see if it needed more. Four, always make a double recipe! They called table numbers at our church for this luncheon. Our table was #9 (3 or more tables per number) and they went in numerical order. I almost didn't get any! By the time I got to my dish, I had to scrape the sides and bottom to make enough for my plate. If I had made a double batch, surely I would've gotten more….But I'm equally sure that I still would not have any to take home. It's that good.

This will be probably my 'go to' item for church functions from now on. When people ask how to make this, I'll send them here. If they learn how to make it, too, surely I'll get plenty to eat of it at some point.

Oh, and PLEASE, PLEASE, MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS!!! <3

Robert Berryman says:

I’ll try this. Ever since my last trip to Asia I have been wanting to cut my meat consumption. I was in India for two weeks last September. On about the fourth day, I realized that I had not eaten meat the entire time I was in the city of Bhubaneswar. I decided to keep it up and so I never had any meat at all until I was on my flight back home. There is something strange about this. I sometimes prepare an all-vegetable meal at home, with cornbread, and I love it, but when it’s time for the next meal I will be craving meat. For some reason, that never happened in India. I was not getting any meat and I was not missing it at all. There is something about the food there that keeps one from even thinking about meat.

I had been to Nepal twice before visiting India, and although the food there is also delicious, a full meal in Nepal will often include a side of meat, most often fried chicken. The trip to India was probably the longest I have ever been without eating any meat. I wish I knew what it is about that food that satisfies one’s appetite better than any of the meatless foods we have available here. If I can ever figure that out I might become a vegetarian.

Michael Gutman says:

I just made this. Great! I will be making this often.

People of Earth says:

10 oz cremini mushrooms
1 onion
5 + 1 tablespoons of olive oil
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 can of garbanzo beans
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 cups of vegetable broth
1/4 cup of tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon of red chili flakes
1 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped fine

Heat 5 tablespoons of olive oil. Mince mushrooms to a crumble texture and add to the oil along with the salt – cook for eight minutes on high.

Mince onion and add to the mushrooms – cook for five more minutes.

Add tomato paste. Mix thoroughly and cook for 1-2 minutes until tomato paste is a rich, rust color.

Make a clearing in the bottom of the pot. Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the crushed garlic, the oregano and the chili flakes, the put this mixture in the clear spot and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Add crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth. Stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes.

Drain and mince garbanzo beans (skin the beans if you have time), then rinse thoroughly to remove excess starch. Drain of excess water and add to the sauce.

Stir to combine and cook for 15 minutes.

Cook pasta of your choice while this cooks.

Add fresh basil to sauce and stir to combine.

Drain pasta, reserving some pasta water. Add 3 cups of sauce to pasta and stir to combine, incorporating some of the pasta water to loosen up the mixture if necessary.

Plate, adding more sauce over top.

Enjoy!

People of Earth says:

I made this and it was excellent! Thank you for such a great recipe. PLEASE do more vegan recipes!

275carreira says:

Thanks! More vegetarian recipes, please!

Spice Master II says:

I guess ATK has never heard about textured vegetable protein

David Hoffman says:

Use a fusilli pasta shape instead of long noodles.

Adam Romero says:

Becky is such a breath of fresh air

Vicky says:

I just made this! WOW!!! This is very good and it's true, you don't miss the meat. After I started making it, I realized that I did not have chick peas, so I used Butter Beans since I thought they will be very mild in flavor. It turned out delicious!!! While I'm not a vegetarian/vegan, this is a very nice meatless option. Thank You 🙂

Roger didit says:

We don't want fake bacon, phony meat, and imitation roast beast. This is just ONE MORE attempt at putting another American industry out of business.

lyn Laugh247 says:

Love ❤️ mushrooms! Hope it tasted as delicious as it looked.

Q Antonidas says:

If it’s meatless and you don’t eat meat then stop calling your tofu, mushroom whatever, meat. Just call it what it is.