Really looking forward to hearing what you guys think of the vegan lentil bolognese! It’s one of my favourite pasta dishes, plus it has four portions of veggies in it and it’s so easy too. It’s always popular at home, and it freezes brilliantly (without the pasta) if you want to do some batch cooking. Here’s the recipe…
– 1 onion, peeled and chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
– 2 carrots, finely sliced
– 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
– 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
– 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
– 1 packet of mushrooms (about 250g), sliced
– 200g dry green lentils
– x2 400g cans of tinned tomatoes
– 500ml water with one stock cub
– 250g pasta (I use brown rice pasta)
– 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
– Olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
Place the olive oil into a large pan with the chopped onion, garlic and celery, plus salt and pepper. Let this soften then add the carrots, mushrooms and red pepper and cook for 5-10 minutes until soft. Add about half the water (with the stock mixed in) and the herbs, then add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes and lentils. Continue to add the remaining water as it cooks.
Let it simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the lentils are really soft.
Just before it finishes cooking, make the pasta. Once the lentils are ready, stir the cooked (and drained) pasta through.