How to Make the Best VEGAN Buttercream! | Cupcake Jemma

Are you trying out Veganism this #veganuary? Are you already a vegan and need more tasty recipes? Are you just trying to reduce your dairy intake and need something which is just as good as regular buttercream (if not better)? Well you are very lucky because there are some solid vegan recipes coming your way this month! Starting with my Vegan Buttercream recipe.

RECIPE –
165g vegan spread/marge
165g vegetable shortening (room temp)
660g icing sugar, sifted
1/2 tps vanilla
3-4 vegan milk alternative
(170g dark choc, melted and cooled slightly if you’re making it chocolatey)

MERCH MERCH MERCH!: http://cupcakejemma.com
MORE CAKE: http://www.crumbsanddoilies.co.uk

MY TWEETS: http://www.twitter.com/jemmawilson
MY INSTAGRAM: @cupcakejemma
CAKESTAGRAM: @crumbsanddoilies

VISIT OUR SHOP –

Crumbs & Doilies
1 Kingly Court
London
W1B 5PW

Comments

Julie Haines says:

What is shortening? Is it a vegetable lard? Thanks. X

Mia Schu says:

Thanks Gemma. I wanted to make a cake for a vegan friend, but all the recipes I found seemed a little OTT in terms of using alternative ingredients, like expensive coconut oil (which does impart the flavour of coconut, I don't care what anyone says!)

I'm a little wary of using bicarb because I always get an unpleasant aftertaste, or fizz on the tongue, when eating shop bought scones or soda bread. But, I'll give it a try!

Suhei Rivas says:

Does anyone know how many cupcakes this recipe will frost ???? 🙂

Melissa Olvera says:

I don't understand your measurements! I can't measure grams. I just have standard US measuring spoons and cups. Can you tell me the measurements in US standard please?

Irene Edw says:

I'm looking vegan ingredient cause dairy one can be much expensive

Jolina K says:

For how many cupcakes is the recipe?😍

Julija labanauskaitė says:

That's amaaaazing! MORE VEGAN VIDEOS PLEAAAASE

Tidwell says:

Shut your yapper. Get to cooking and less talking

Francesca Sacco says:

Please make more videos for this year’s veganuary!!! ❤️

Random Name says:

Loved this! Hope you’ll make more vegan recipes, also after veganuary #VeganForEverything 🌍🐷❤️

__.hxnéy • says:

Skskskksksks and I oop n I oop

Hunter Southon says:

I’m trying to find good recipes that my nana can eat so that I can make her a cake for Christmas specially for her to eat, I want to make deep blue hydrangea flower designs out of icing and I was wondering if this buttercream would set enough to form the flowers?

Jon Cawte says:

I have recently done this recipe and used orange juice for the liquid and also added some, 'extra' cocoa powder to the mix, it was delish and thankfully not as sweet as regular buttercream

Caking at Midnight says:

Thank you!! Just what I was looking for 💜💜

Sura Beily says:

When would you use chocolate buttercream vs whipped chocolate ganache?

LauDuKai says:

Thanks Jemma, the spread and vegetable shortening made a very good Dairy Free icing 👍 Made my freind very happy on thier birthday with lots of cupcakes ☺

jijsta says:

What's the point in being vegan.. and eating horrible unhealthy fat! 🥺

Stay Kind says:

My buttercream comes out 'crunchy', with the sugar giving a gritty texture. Do you have suggestions for making it smoother?

Rose Lewis says:

My son can't eat dairy and I needed to ice his birthday cake so I used this recipe but with a little less almond milk. It turned out great, coloured well and tasted really nice too. If in Australia and you can only find copha you need to really soften it in the microwave first because I ended up mixing with the hairdryer on the bowl to get the little vegetable shortening lumps out of the first step despite it being super soft when I started, I had to mix for a lot longer so incorporated too much air. Thank you so much for the recipe you made our first dairy free birthday party a lot easier to get ready for. Now all I have to do is convince him to eat chocolate cake so I don't have to taste margarine in our cakes anymore. Could you make a dairy free vanilla sponge cake recipe that is strong enough to frost in layers? The two recipes I have, one is a fatless sponge so too light to ice and the other is a Madeira and I find them a bit heavy in texture.

Kim A. says:

Omg I love your videos. I was wondering what brand of butter you’re using I’m having such a hard time finding sunflower margarine! I can only find olive oil, canola oil, etc. Thanks.