VEGAN THANKSGIVING Sides | Green Bean Casserole | Easy Recipe GLUTEN FREE | The Edgy Veg

Candice is here to save the day again with an easy recipe for Green Bean Casserole that is not only Vegan but Gluten Free as well.

SUPPORT US ON PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/edgyveg
SUBSCRIBE TO THE EDGY VEG HERE: http://bit.ly/1TZma0N
GET THE FULL RECIPE: http://wp.me/p2x3lA-2W3
BUY THE INGREDIENTS: http://bit.ly/2dt4Enc

This Thanksgiving you don’t have to worry about what you’re making for a side because this is the recipe you want. Using almond milk and cauliflower as substitutions also makes this casserole a healthy option. Fortunately, with this recipe you don’t have to choose between healthy or delicious because it’s both.

To make this outstanding recipe you are going to start with your soup. Traditionally green bean casserole uses a can of cream of mushroom soup, usually Campbell’s or a similar brand. These are loaded with all sorts of ingredients your body really doesn’t need. Candice’s solution is to simply make your own soup using almond milk and cauliflower. Start with a good looking head of cauliflower and cut out a fair amount of florets. The size of them should be similar to what you see in the video. Add those to a saucepan. In that same saucepan and almond milk, 2 tbsp of garlic powder, salt, half a tbsp of black pepper, and 1 1/2 tbsp of onion powder. Put the lid on this and cook it on medium high until the cauliflower is soft.

While the cauliflower is cooking take a pan and put it on medium heat. Add some coconut oil in it, then put in diced onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Let those cook for about 15 minutes. You’ll know their cooked down enough when your onions start to turn translucent. Now transfer your cauliflower into a blender and blend it until it is smooth with everything thoroughly blended together. Pour that back into the same pot you cooked it in then add in your mushrooms, onions and garlic. Mix that all together and let it simmer on your stove at the lowest possible setting.

While that’s simmering it’s time to make your onions. Slice 2 onions thinly to achieve a look similar to the pile of onions you see in the video. Slicing thinly is crucial to making these onions turn out right, the thinner they are the better they are going to mix with the casserole and the better they will look topping it. Toss your chopped onions into a large bowl of almond milk, or if your prefer, soy milk. Let them sit for about 5 minutes while you make your flour. The flour you choose to use if of course up to you, however, Candice has chosen to go with coconut flour for her recipe. She has received a lot of requests for gluten free recipes and coconut flour fits the bill. Not to mention that coconut flour is high in fiber and low in carbohydrates. Add some salt, sage, and paprika to your flour and then just put your onions right into the flour mixture. Be sure to get an even coating on them as you mix them around in the flour.

Your next step is to fry your onions. If you have a deep fryer you have probably already heated it up, if not, put about 2 inches of oil in a pot and put it on medium high. Once you have hot oil ready for frying add these onions in and fry them until crisp. Do not make the mistake of putting too many in at once or they will clump together. Candice recommends smaller batches cooked for 2 minutes at a time each. As you pull each batch out put the fried onions down onto a plate covered with paper towels to soak up the extra oil.

Now take your green beans, cut off then ends, and wash them thoroughly. Then place them into boiling hot water for 2 minutes, no longer. We only want to blanch the green beans we don’t want to boil them. Unlike boiling beans, blanching retains many of the vitamins and nutrients lost during the boiling process. It also keeps them fresh enough to still have a bit of crunch, a bonus that your guests are sure to appreciate.

When your beans are done add them right into the soup, add a 1/4 of your cooked onions, and then stir this all together well. Get out your casserole dish, pour in the beans and flatten it all out. Put this in the oven for 15-20 minutes. For those of you out there that prefer things just a bit crispier 20 minutes is going to be your best option. When done pull it out and top it with the rest of your fried onions.

That’s all it takes to make amazing Green Bean Casserole that will truly wow your guests this Thanksgiving.

Like what you see here? Subscribe to the Edgy Veg YouTube Channel for regular content you can really sink your teeth into:

Follow The Edgy Veg on Twitter: http://bit.ly/1eTMJim (@edgyveg)
Follow The Edgy Veg on Instagram: http://bit.ly/18DGpxo (@edgyveg)
Visit The Edgy Veg Blog: http://bit.ly/1dxcNmv
Like The Edgy Veg on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/1gNzEZk

#greenbeancasserole #glutenfree #veganrecipes #easyveganrecipes #thanksgiving #holidayrecipes GET THE NEW COOKBOOK: http://bit.ly/edgybook

Comments

Jennifer N says:

I like the adding of cauliflower

Skoben2000 says:

I made this last year and had to come back for more!  🙂  So here's what happened.  The hostess knew I was vegan and let me make a few of the dishes vegan like this Green Bean Casserole and the Stuffing.  She vowed not to tell anyone that they were vegan.  Everyone ate it all up and rant and raved especially about this casserole.  Throughout the dinner, everyone made some jokes towards me (in fun) and at the end she revealed they ate some vegan style side dishes.  To their surprise, this dish particularly was one of the best they had many said.  "How ya like me NOW carnivores?"  Well, it's not processed food stuffs like high-sodium canned soup and premade French onion strips.  Making this again this year.  (and next year, and next year and the next, and the following…etc!)

Wiggles says:

IT'S THAT TIME BIH!

Autumn Rose Dearborn says:

Hahaha omg I made a vegan green bean casserole this year and my husband and son just ate my whole first batch of onions! I was so mad that I had to make more!! So from now on I'm making triple batches, which is a good idea anyway because who doesn't like extra fried onions on their green bean casserole?

Betsy Smith says:

Green bean is the best casserole! That and scalloped potatoes, and shepherd's pie. THOSE ARE THE ONLY ONES WORTH EATING. Don't let Auntie Beatice fool you.

Anna Smith says:

So easy and really tasty! My carnivore friends and family agree… I usually hate any vegan white based sauces I have made in the past but the cauliflower made a really great texture and mild flavor sauce 🙂

AwakeTheWisdomWithin W.GabrielleEther says:

Literally rotfl @ the black hole. Looks delicious. Definitely trying this.

Ace Of Moms Yea says:

looks delicious!,but so not "easy"

Jennifer Pike says:

Okay I have to make this dish for this weekend!😍

Spiders Q says:

Less talking !!

cintami angelina Pniel says:

More videos please candice. I watch your videos everyday. Watched your episode of 3 pastas more than 7 times !!!!! Love your show so much ! I'm not even vegan….but i love the way you cook !

Pinoygina says:

And I thought I had the perfect green bean casserole …. this looks amazing, most especially the fried onions. This will be perfect when my cousin come down for a visit. Thank you!

Far Out Forest Fella says:

Yesss!!! My favorite holiday dish, and now I can veganize it!!

cciruela says:

James is always appearing like: "now that Candance has made all the work I'm going to eat" 😀
Love your videos!!

Kitty Crop Top says:

I LOVE green bean casserole, but I haven't tried your version, so I'll have to make next time. 😉

ashleybii says:

Just made this for thanksgiving. As my boyfriend has a wheat allergy/nut allergy I made the fried onions with rice milk and coconut flour….the flour never stuck to the onions…when I was dumping out the oil from the pot all of the coconut flour was at the bottom of the pot 🙁 idk if it's because I used rice milk instead of almond milk? Recipe was still delicious!

Iva Marie says:

I love this, I WISED I could have tasted this… Yum yum every single ingredient… Yum, definitely worth a try..

Angela Flores says:

thank you!! thank you!!!

Alysk says:

What oil did you use to fry the onions in? I love using coconut oil to cook but it's so costly considering how much I would need!

issalissa says:

Seriously so excited to make this omg