Living in Germany – German Cuisine & Food Culture

Hey, everyone! In this video I wanted to cover a topic that I find most exciting whenever I visit a new country / region / city – FOOD! Germany, like other countries, has a specific food culture that is different than any other. I will cover topics such as traditional german cuisine, modern food culture, social and culture norms surrounding food culture, and for anyone planning on moving or visiting Germany – ettiquette at restaurants (i.e. tipping, costs, customer service).

Make sure you stay tuned until the end, where I bring you into my own kitchen and show you how I make two traditional German dishes – Milchreis and Spargel mit Bratkartoffeln.

Here is a breakdown of the topics I cover in my video:
German Cuisine
Traditional – 2:10
Modern – 5:25
Social and Cultural Norms – 7:50
Restaurants – 12:22
Cooking Vlogs – 16:44
Milchreis – 17:49
Spargel mit Bratkartoffeln – 19:07

Do you have a traditional German dish that you love? – Comment it below! & don’t forget to subscribe to my channel for more videos about my life in Germany!

Comments

Elessar Telcontar says:

Grünkohl is usually called Kale in Northern America.

Angie says:

Try boiling the sparaus in half and half water/milk with a little sugar. Yummy

Jörg Petersson says:

A little tip for "Frische Bratkartoffeln": Take young potatoes (first harvest in spring), wash them thoroughly, but leave the skin on, cut them into relatively thin (2-3 mm) slices and put them in the water for about 10 minutes. This deprives them of the starch.

Dry them a little on kitchen paper. Now put some butterfat (Butaris) or oil with a little butter in the pan and, if hot enough, the potato slices. Fry briefly and cover on. Shake now and then. When the potatoes are almost done, add the onion cubes and the bacon cubes and let the potatoes brown in the open pan over normal heat. A little cumbersome, but worth the effort: delicious – even with asparagus.

Andi Buletten says:

First-Nice video. In german restaurants, cafés, bars etc. the water must be served in a closed bottle. It's even a law. The waitress/ waiter is only allowed to open it up at the guests table. So as a guest you can be sure, that's a high quality water. Although the german tap water is one of the best in the world. And in the most restaurants you will get a glas of tap water for free, when you ask for it. For the bottled water the owner of the restaurant has to pay as well, because he also needs to buy it. Stay healthy

da andy says:

Well, the part with food is really accurate. There is sometimes, in the same state but just 2 different villages, different food cultures. It's like with the dialects. I can barely understand people who just live 5km from my village because their dialect and slang they use is sometimes really different (one of the reasons we have to learn "Hochdeutsch" 🙂 ). I think we have like 1000 types of dialects across Germany, very hard is something around Alps and East part of Germany or also the whole region where people speak "schwäbisch". In the north there are some few islands where people mixed old German (such as "Plattdeutsch) with something else and it's completely different language.
The alcohol culture is of course completely different. We start from 16 by the law but usually the parents teach also the kids how to drink and how it affects them. Especially with girls, so they know how this s* will affect them and where is the point to stop. Kids will drink anyway somewhere but if they don't know how to handle the situation being drunk they might get in risky situations.
I know many people who taught their kids at some random family parties (birthday, new years eve and so on) how to drink, what to drink, what kind of stuff to avoid while drinking, e.g. never mix beer with wine, don't drink too fast or too much in a short period of time, eat something even snacks while drinking, drink a glass of water/soda. This is probably the reason why so many Germans can handle a bigger amount and are not so lost and f* like some other ppl. Worst ppl to drink with (I ever met) were ppl from UK. All those Brits I met around the world were always drinking so crazy that they were losing control over their mind and body. I think most of the Brits don't know how to drink casually with some friends. For them it's just I'm going to f* up tonight or I'll stay at home. People from US are crazy while in Mexico especially all those under 21. For them it's a paradise cuz everything is cheap and they can get drunk while under 21.

Joern Christoph says:

Oldenburger Grünkohl mit Pinkel hat hier eine sehr lange Tradition. Die Kohlfahrt kann mit Boßeln gestaltet werden. Oder bei gefrorem Boden kann man auch Kloot schießen. Paar Begriffe kommen vom Plattdeutschland (Lower German) die zweite Amtssprache, alles andere sind Dialekte.

Becca Lilifee says:

Why am I watching this? I'm German…

Fab Funty says:

I'm German and also switch the cutlery, I don't put it down just switch the fork from left to right, I never thought about it clearly.
And I would consider you a German with US heritage 😉 as you're living , loving (it) and working in Germany .

Mathilde Wesendonck says:

Germany is defintely quite relaxed with beer and alcohol.
I worked for the military in the South of Germany, and in our army camp in Bavaria we had two or three beer 🍺 vending machines! Nowadays they are only filled with non- alcoholic beer options, but not too long ago, you could get „normal“ beer 🍺. Every day at around 9.30 there was „NATO- Pause“, and until some years ago everyone was allowed two bottles of beer.
Even in Afghanistan we were allowed to have two beer or one glass of red wine 🍷 between 8 pm and 10 pm every day. Our US comrades where not even allowed to have non- alcoholic beer 🍺, so we sometimes had to smuggle a bottle to their tents. 🙈

Mathilde Wesendonck says:

Wait, we have only the third highest consumption of beer 🍺 in the world??
We can do better!! Cheers 🍻
I‘m having a Becks Green Lemon now

Mac Payne says:

Tolles Video! Mir war nicht bewusst das es Unterschiede beim Essen gibt. Man bekommt als kleines Kind halt beigebracht mit Messer und Gabel zu essen und man denkt halt einfach es ist überall so. Interessanter fakt. Danke

Sylvia Schaich says:

German people took meals from their vacations

Black Wolf Ian not Lan says:

Hamburger dont originated in the us.
the evolved in the us
but they are originated in Hamburg
it was just a bun roll with mustard and meat but popular on the ships that left hamburg to sail to the new land (amarica)
i am sure you can find a video or two about that

HierBinIck says:

sehr schönes video! sehr gut auf den punkt gebracht!😊👍👍👍👍👍

Gerd Eichler says:

The first wave of guest workers from Italy is almost more important! They introduced Pizza and Pasta

Maren´s life says:

I just give tips in Germany when the service is really good.
In really good Italian restaurants you will get water for free 👍🏻

Jens Goerke says:

About the alcohol culture – learning early how alcohol affects you, up to hangovers, helps set individual limits, so the goal quickly shifts from getting drunk to enjoying the evening with friends without getting drunk and ruining the whole evening.

Jens Goerke says:

I've had good results substituting Hummus for minced meat, although it also adds a nutty note.

William A. Jokela says:

I lived in Germany for over 6 years, 2 years as an Army bandsman stationed in Worms and 4 years as an Army Chaplain living near Ulm/Neu-Ulm. As a bandsman we played for all kinds of German fests, "Spargelfest", "Backfischfest", and the "Oktoberfest" in Munich. Often after a day at work some of us would head over to Lili Marlene's Gasthaus and I would get an Eichbaum Apostel beer and bratwurst with pommes frites. I had two assignments as a Chaplain, the first with a German driver who turned me on to the Schnellimbiss and Currywurst. I also learned that I could order Leitungwasser, (tap water). When my inlaws came to visit I reminded them that a meal in a restaurant was a social event and that we would not be in and out in 30 minutes; just sit back and enjoy your friends, the food and the ambience. During the four years we lived around Ulm/Neu-Ulm, my wife and I got to play with a German community orchestra. On Monday nights after rehearsal a group of us would go to the Ulmer Stuben near the Munsterplatz. There I would enjoy a Gunzburger Rad Hefe-weizen along with a Schweizer Wurstsalat. Just some pleasant memories of living in Germany.

ISSO1407 says:

She adresses her bad Ö that was actually quiet decent but complete ignores the absolute torture her Ü was… seriously?