Comparing the diets of the Roman gladiator “barley men” and army troopers to the modern Spartans of today.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at https://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free recipe from his new HOW NOT TO DIE COOKBOOK. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking directly support NutritionFacts.org).
This is the first in a 3-part series on vegetarian athletes. Stay tuned for The First Studies on Vegetarian Athletes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-first-studies-on-vegetarian-athletes) and Vegetarian Muscle Power, Strength, and Endurance (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vegetarian-muscle-power-strength-and-endurance).
Regardless of your underlying diet, there are certain foods that may help enhance athletic performance and recovery:
• Reducing Muscle Fatigue with Citrus (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/reducing-muscle-fatigue-with-citrus/)
• Reducing Muscle Soreness with Berries (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/reducing-muscle-soreness-with-berries/)
• Preventing Exercise-Induced Oxidative Stress With Watercress (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/preventing-exercise-induced-oxidative-stress-with-watercress/)
• “Veg-Table” Dietary Nitrate Scoring Method (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/veg-Table-dietary-nitrate-scoring-method)
• Fennel Seeds to Improve Athletic Performance (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/fennel-seeds-to-improve-athletic-performance)
• Coconut Water for Athletic Performance vs. Sports Drinks (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Coconut-Water-for-Athletic-Performance-vs-Sports-Drinks)
• Foods to Improve Athletic Performance and Recovery (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Foods-to-Improve-Athletic-Performance-and-Recovery)
• Ground Ginger to Reduce Muscle Pain (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Ground-Ginger-to-Reduce-Muscle-Pain)
• Enhanced Athletic Recovery Without Undermining Adaptation (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/enhanced-athletic-recovery-without-undermining-adaptation/)
• Watermelon for Sore Muscle Relief (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/Watermelon-for-Sore-Muscle-Relief)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-gladiator-diet-how-vegetarian-athletes-stack-up and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-gladiator-diet-how-vegetarian-athletes-stack-up. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgments for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then “Subtitles/CC.”
Do you have feedback about the translations in this video? Please share it here along with the title of the video and language: https://nutritionfacts.zendesk.com/hc/requests/new
To view the subtitles in transcript format, click on the ellipsis button below the video, choose “Open transcript”, and select the language you’d like to view them in.
Image credit: rudall30 / 123RF
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate/
• How to Survive a Pandemic: https://nutritionfacts.org/how-to-survive-a-pandemic/
• How Not to Die: https://nutritionfacts.org/book
• How Not to Diet: https://nutritionfacts.org/how-not-to-diet/
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio/