Soup for Dinner: How to Make Chicken Bouillabaisse and Avgolemono

Test cook Dan Souza and host Julia Collin Davison make Chicken Bouillabaisse, tasting expert Jack Bishop challenges Bridget to a tasting of cinnamon, and then Julia and Bridget uncover the secrets to Avgolemono.

Make Our Chicken Bouillabaisse: https://cooks.io/2SeXp8x
Buy Our Avgolemono: https://cooks.io/2WtwTre
Buy Our Winning Cinnamon: https://cooks.io/2RUvrj8

ABOUT US: Located in Boston’s Seaport District in the historic Innovation and Design Building, America’s Test Kitchen features 15,000 square feet of kitchen space including multiple photography and video studios. It is the home of Cook’s Illustrated magazine and Cook’s Country magazine and is the workday destination for more than 60 test cooks, editors, and cookware specialists. Our mission is to test recipes over and over again until we understand how and why they work and until we arrive at the best version.

If you like us, follow us:

Comments

S4njuro says:

How do you spell Rou-E?

why do u want to know Tre says:

Dan"s The Man !

S M says:

Amazing recipe,and Dan 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Irish Diva Jeffries says:

I’m thinking a very sharp knife helps big time. I’ve tried all kinds of sharpeners and recently got an electric sharpener that is a pro version. Wow! I can do cheffing now!

David Franklin says:

That Chicken Bouillabaise has so many ingredients I lost count. How ridiculous. Also, it must work out very VERY expensive.

David Nunez says:

I like the way Dan says "massive breasts" lol

Aliyah says:

Soup looks like awesome!

Annaeeee says:

I love that they take a moment to explain the chemistry that makes the recipe work! This soup looks delicious!

yejin So says:

Thank you , because you like Vietnamese cinnamon, strong tasty one I knew too!

pat taylor says:

I worked in a small Greek restaurant in my twenties and well remember how the aroma of the avgolemono soup filled the restaurant. It was tasty, but yours look like it could be tastier, certainly creamier. I must try this! I can imagine it would be just perfect to come home to on a cold winter day. Can the leftover soup be frozen for another meal?

Darcy Jorgensen says:

Loving the avgolemono recipe…but gonna’ use thighs. Tx for this!

Darcy Jorgensen says:

Dan: Consider wearing a wedding ring on TV/videos, just so people will stop slobbering all over you and get back to paying attention to, and commenting upon, the food. Just sayin’.

Alahat Zaifat says:

Ok… I usually love your recipes as they seem very well thought out and the 'ethnic' ones I have seen seem pretty authentic, except possibly having to substitute hard to find ingredients or taking a slight artistic license… but what you did to avgolemono was NOT even in the ballpark. I like the rice trick and I will attempt this, but this is NOT avgolemono.

Avgolemono is a broth soup, as you stated, but the greek chicken broth or other meat broth, as avgolemono can also be made with other meat, such as beef, game, turkey etc. and at easter time, it is made with the offal of the lamb that will be spitted later (NOT recommended for the faint of heart). Now…. the secret to a proper avgolemono is that the flavour of the meat, enhanced with the lemon and egg is the star of the show. There are NO aromatics in a traditional avgolemono… not onion, or carrots or celery, like one would use for a North American type chicken broth, which I assume is what you started with, from the colour alone. Then, you committed a sacrilege by adding spices that Greeks never really use at all… cardamom?? In avgolemono? I actually cannot think of one greek recipe that uses cardamom, not even a dessert, let alone a soup. And lemon zest? Again, not sure where you got the recipe for this, but it is NOT traditional, nor is dill IN the broth/soup.

So, one starts with the chicken, let's say, salt and pepper and water and cooks the bird until it is fall off the bone tender. The bird is removed, and the meat taken off the bone. The skin is also kept, for traditional avgolemono. All this is set aside. One adds rice, preferably short grained, but long is fine, or orzo or hilopites, a small flat square soup pasta traditionally used in Greece. When the pasta or rice is done, then we do the tempering with the avgolemono mixture.. To the amount you had there, 2 eggs would have been enough, and as much lemon as one likes. We always made it mild, and those who liked it sharper could add more lemon to their bowl. Our traditional avgolemono is finished differently, as well, but that is a regional difference… and it would be served with lots of good bread… and that would be dinner.

The traditional avgolemono is as classic as a chicken noodle soup in America… and if you added say cardamom to that, it would no longer be the comfort food that one expects. It might be tasty, but it is NOT traditional chicken noodle soup any longer. If I ordered avgolemono in a restaurant, I am expecting a particular flavour profile… what you created is NOT what I would expect and I would probably send it back. Just as I have in restaurants where they make the broth American style. It is no longer the 'traditional' avgolemono. Sorry for the long rant, but as a proud GrekoCanadian, this just did not fly. I hope one day you revisit a proper and traditional avgolemono… or if you do other ethnic dishes, please keep them as traditional as possible, unless you state clearly that they are artistic recreations and not traditional. I would hate someone to make that recipe and then claim that it is a traditional version.

This is a traditional avgolemono, for those interested in trying a true authentic version… as close to my mom's version as I can find…

Passive Agressive says:

Finally! I’ve never understood those recipes that go to great lengths to crisp chicken skin and then cover it in s sauce ! Well done ATK! Lol

arch stanton says:

Who are all those people in the background?
They seem to cook a lot of food.
Who are the lucky people who gets to eat all that delicious food?

ccxmc says:

11:43 Lol does anyone remember the Cinnamon Challenge

Joe Momma says:

Dan's the man!

Lorrie says:

I have "good" knives that I keep sharp, but I envy them. Not just the knives but the whoever washes the dishes…

Basso Primo says:

Chicken Bouillabaisse? What on earth is that – is that from the same cooking school as Fish Brownies or Tandoori Bananas?

Deberah Kearns says:

Gotta try the avgolemono soup.