One of my all-time favorites since day one! They’re chewy, flaky and crispy, the best of all the worlds. Also great for if you’re a scallion lover like me 🙂
Here’s how to make my favorite scallion pancakes from scratch! This should make around 5 pieces, but you can make them bigger or smaller to your preference.
Ingredients for dough:
2.5 cups flour
1/2 cup hot water (+ 1 tbsp if needed)
1/4 cup room temperature water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
Lots of scallions
1/2 tbsp five spice powder
Ingredients for roux:
1/2 all-purpose flour
1. Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add in hot water slowly while stirring, then mix in room temperature water while continuing to stir.
2. Gently knead to form dough and continue kneading on floured surface for 10 minutes.
3. Put dough in a bowl and cover with a wet towel, rest for 30 minutes or more. (An hour would be even better if you have the patience!)
4. Chop scallions and make roux by mixing oil and flour in a saucepan, continue to mix over medium-low heat until thickened into a paste. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
5. Roll out dough into a log shape and divide into five portions.
6. Roll out one piece of dough to as thin as possible, and brush on roux. Sprinkle on scallions and five spice powder.
7. Roll dough tightly into a log shape, then take one end of the dough and roll again onto itself to form a pinwheel shape. Gently flatten and brush on a thin layer of oil.
8. Let rest for 20 minutes or repeat steps for remaining dough.
9. Roll out dough to as thin as possible and pan fry each side until golden brown! You can sprinkle salt on at the end if you’d like too.
Excited for you all to try this out! As always, tag me in your pictures if you do – I love them so much. Also, remember to like and subscribe if you’d like to keep watching these videos! ❤️
Connect and stay updated with me here! 🙂
Music via Warner Chappell