This recipe is the ultimate sausage roll that will have your mouth watering. Simply follow the video and share your attempt with Tom by using #CookwithKerridge.
Make sure you subscribe to the channel for all of the latest updates.
640g all butter puff pastry
flour for dusting
4 egg yolks beaten
400g sausages skin removed
500g pork mince
70g diced streaky bacon
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chicken gravy powder
½ cayenne pepper
2 tsp ready-made English mustard
1 tsp cracked black pepper
½ bunch of sage
– To start with heat a frying pan on to a medium flame on the hob and add a splash of oil.
– Throw in the onions and sweat down for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown, a bit like hot dog onions, once cooked remove from the heat and leave to cool.
– Next add the mince, sausage meat onion, bacon, garlic powder, gravy powder, mustard, peppers and salt.
– Mix together till all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
– Then roll up in cling film, so that it looks like a chunky sausage.
– Then chill for an hour or so to firm up.
– Once the sausage filling has chilled.
– Lightly dust a little four onto a chopping board, then lay on the sheet of puff pastry.
– Next remove the sausage from the cling film and place into the puff pastry.
– Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash, then fold the pastry over the sausage to seal in the meat.
– Trim off any excess pastry, finally brush the sausage roll with the egg wash, pop in the fridge for five minutes, then brush again.
– Proceed to score the pastry with a sharp knife and crimp the edge with a fork.
– Season the pastry with picked thyme, salt and mustard seeds.
– Bake in a pre-heated oven 200 degrees celsius for 30 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 170 degrees celsius for another 20 minutes.
– Once baked remove from the oven and rest for 10 to 15 minutes before you cut it.
– Serve with the best brown sauce you can get your hands on.