Make cauliflower the star of the show in this hearty vegan dish. Courtney Roulston’s Cauliflower Steak with Carrot Hummus & Harissa Chickpeas (RECIPE BELOW) is packed with vibrant colours and flavours. It’s a must-try combo.
Get at least one brand new video every week, including recipes, kitchen hacks and handy cooking tips to help you feed your family and friends: @Coles
Cauliflower Steak with Carrot Hummus & Harissa Chickpeas
Recipe by Courtney Roulston
Prep 15 mins
Cooking 40 mins
1 large cauliflower
3 large carrots, sliced crossways
½ cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 x 400g cans chickpeas
1 tsp harissa paste
1 garlic clove
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbs tahini
1 lemon, zested, juiced
1 shallot, very thinly sliced
⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
¼ bunch mint, thinly sliced
Extra virgin olive oil, extra, to drizzle
1. Remove the outer leaves from the cauliflower, leaving the core intact. Cut four 2.5cm-thick steaks from the centre of the cauliflower (reserve the excess florets for another use).
2. Preheat oven to 190˚C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Place the cauliflower steaks and carrot on lined trays. Drizzle with 2½ tbs oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 mins or until the carrots are tender and the cauliflower is lightly golden.
3. Meanwhile, rinse 1 can of chickpeas and drain well. Place the drained chickpeas in a frying pan over high heat. Drizzle with 1¼ tbs oil. Cook for 2 mins or until slightly cracked. Add the harissa paste and a pinch of salt. Cook for a further 2-3 mins or until fragrant.
4. Drain the remaining can of chickpeas, reserving ¼ cup (60ml) of the liquid. Place the drained chickpeas and reserved chickpea liquid in a jug with the roasted carrot, garlic, cumin, tahini, remaining oil, 2 tbs lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Use a stick blender to blend until smooth and creamy.
5. Spoon the carrot mixture onto serving plates. Top with the cauliflower steaks and harissa chickpeas. Sprinkle with shallot, lemon zest, pomegranate seeds and mint. Drizzle with extra oil to serve.
Want more dinner recipes? Check out our ‘Weeknight meals from the pantry’ playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8rYS6B-sVuIdGNoq_qF8avX437_BcB7e, which includes:
Sweet potato & zucchini fritters:
Fast Thai beef salad:
Corn & zucchini frittata:
Smoked salmon fettuccine with creamy lemon sauce: